|"Greetings from Wisconsin" by flickr user|
Boston Public Library (CC)
The workshop organizers contacted me to talk about programming through the lenses of Unprogramming and STEAM/maker philosophies, which I did with examples and time for participants to brainstorm with their peers. We wrapped up the morning workshop by exploring a range of SLP alternative options. That's right; SLP doesn't have to be just about reading for prizes any more.
I'm including here the range of resources I shared on the workshop handouts I created--there are so many great programs and SLP variants, and having time to peruse them before summer planning begins full force could be helpful. So, for your reading pleasure...
- "Unprogramming at the Library," a Pinterest board curated by Marge Loch-Wouters and myself
- A blog series on unprogramming by Marge and myself: Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8
On STEAM & Making:
- "STEAM," a Pinterest board I curate for School Library Journal
- "All Things STEAM," a page with program and resource links right here on this very blog
- "Library Maker Spaces," a Pinterest board I curated with Michelle Cooper and Justin Hoenke
- "We Make Everyday," a Pinterest board I curated with Claire Moore
- "Summer Reading Booklets" by Hafuboti
- "Summer LIBRARY Club: Where prizes and cheating go to die" by Kelsey at Library Bonanza
- "Those Summer Reading Club Prizes" by Abby at Abby the Librarian
- "Summer Prizes - Good-Bye!!" by Marge at Tiny Tips for Library Fun
And, last but not least, the slides from the workshop. Based on the plethora of excellent superhero-themed, Creative Commons-licensed images out there, this is probably one of my favorite slide decks. Most definitely my favorite title slide. Enjoy!